Sign up for my mailing list:

If you would like to be notified when new beads are available:


 RSS Feed

» Listings for 2011

  1. A girl can never have too much glass, that's what we say lol!

    I had some plumbing tubes that I'd made into storage in the laundrio, but needed more! So I paid a visit to the local plumbing centre....

    Lampwork studio renovation

    After lots of cutting and sticking together....

    Lampwork studio renovation

    I have masses of colours, but not in massive amounts, just half a kilo at most of each colour.  I separated each tube with a little wooden insert to give 2 for the price of one!

  2. As a lampwork artist, one of things we have to deal with are fumes and other undesirable things that could enter our lungs, so ventilation is a must!  In my laundrio, I had an overhead cooker hood, but it was ugly and noisy, and in my new studio, I would need two, as I wanted to have space for another torch.

    I took inspiration and advice from Julie Fountain of Lush Lampwork, who'd created a beautiful studio.   

    Her studio had ventilation under the worksurfaces and then out through the wall. It was beautiful and discreet and didn't spoil the look the studio!

    I did the same with vents in the worksurfaces, joined onto a powerful fan (hidden behind the far right bottom unit), and then out through the window.  It would have been better to go out through the wall, but we felt we didn't want to damage the walls incase we needed to sell the house!  I never shut the door to the studio when I torch, the house is large and open plan downstairs, and should hopefully provide enough return air.

    Lampwork studio renovation

    (Excuse the poor photo!).

    Lampwork studio renovation

  3. One of the problems I had to deal with was the worktop - the problem being that to buy a ready made worktop, was a) expensive and b) they weren't wide enough!  I needed the working area to be much wider as I didn't want to be too near the wall with the torch, especially the hot head torch as it produces a much larger flame.

    I decided to make one for myself - I got some chipboard and cut it to size, I had to join it in the middle as I couldn't get a really large piece in my car (I have a Toyota Tarago, which has been a godsend in getting wood etc. home!)

    Lampwork Studio renovations

    The next issue was making the worktop burn-proof, as it has to deal with hot bits of glass etc.

    It was fortunate, but when we built our home, the builders always leave any spare tiles etc. behind.  They'd obviously over-ordered the tiles we have in our kitchen and we had tons of them in the garage....

    Lampwork Studio renovation.

    So, after covering the worktop with plasterboard to give a good tiling surface, they, along with some aluminium sheets became the burn-proof surface I needed...

    Lampwork studio renovation

     I used some pine strips to finish the edges!


Shop Search


SRA g-89


Powered by Create